free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Lost in Memphis

Finally back today. Conference and presentation went well. Flight back did not. It started with delayed boarding, then they we have to wait for a part replacement on the plane, then the air conditioning system on the plane failed to start, have to wait again for that air conditioner engine to start. Finally took off 35 minutes late. Some bad weather around Memphis International Airport, we landed with 10 minutes for me to get to the gate. We were getting close to a gate and for some reason had to turn around and go to the other side of the airport, wrong gate they said. Now we finally docked, had to run to my gate, and my luck-it was just closed as the plane is about to back off and take off. Went to the gate desk, lady tells me that since I bought my ticket at a discount they could not rebook me on a different airline, at this point I said "but it was still your responsibility to get me here on time for me to make my connection." In the end, they had to put me in an airport hotel for a night, gave me 35 minutes of free phone cards, 20 dollars worth of free hotel meals, 10 dollars worth of airport food coupons, and a discount on my next trip. The next morning, our flight was again 30 minutes late because we had to wait for a flight attendant. At least she got a full night's rest. I was glad to reach my final destination and drive my car. At least I finally have some control of my departure and arrival time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home