free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Remembering Undergrad

Been reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Socities" the Pulitzer prize winning book by Jared Diamond. Lots of interesting stuff here that brings back memories of my Anthropoly classes as an undergrad student. Looking back now, I was glad I took a whole bunch of electives in the College of Social Science and Philosophy back in those days.

The UP School of Economics (UPSE) had two B.S. degree offerings one in Business Economics and one in Economics. I was in the latter program, I remember looking at my undergraduate curriculum and half of it were free electives that we can fill with whatever courses we want from whatever college we like. In addition to that, unlike most colleges back then our college didn't even require seeing an adviser to help us decide the composition of our electives. We had a lot of free reign and we exercised it.

I ended up taking a whole bunch of Anthropology, Sociology, and Political Science courses. Not only did it make my grade point average look decent I enjoyed the break from economics. Political science professors though were not too happy with the terse answers (bullshit was not encouraged for essay questions at the UPSE) I wrote for exams. I always wondered how my other classmates can write so much stuff to answer what seems to be a question that required a straight forward answer. I have a lot of memories from those days they come in bits and pieces.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Roy Tan said…

    Ah, undergrad life. All I remember from college is watching all the new movies when they came out. That's what happens when your school is beside megamall. :-)

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger F said…

    that's right. i had to take a jeep to go to SM North to burn 3 hrs of vacant time. sometimes i don't go back to the campus at all :)

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger F said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home