free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Friday, November 04, 2005

Wake me up when November ends

Today I put together all the chapters of my dissertation. There are still a lot of bugs in there and I am sure I can rewrite whole portions of it to improve it. I gave a copy of it to my chairman with the caveat that it is still mutating. Some parts look rushed some not. I'm sure it will benefit from more adjustments and edits and I might just be doing that this weekend. I heard from somebody not too long that a good dissertation is a done dissertation. Anyway I have to put it at arms length right now because I am getting sick of reading and re-reading the same thing over and over again. Let's see if my chair would even consider that ream of paper worthy of a defense date.

Seeing the new crop of PhD students slave away at problem sets and worry about the comprehensive exams while they meet in the conference room make me feel a little bit better though :)

2 Comments:

  • At 4:29 AM, Blogger K said…

    Hey! Having the dissertation outta door is great. I've been struggling for mine for days.

    Newton's third law of graduation:
    For every action towards graduation, there is an equal and opposite distraction.

    Good thing, one distraction is gone last night. :)

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger F said…

    hehehe. my distraction ended early in the season, that's why i had the draft ready. one thing we are proud of here: we took them to 3 overtimes! we'll see you in blacksburg next year!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home