free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Monday, November 01, 2004

Forrest Gump In Me

At the eve of what could possibly be a historic US presidential election I got to thinking about all the stuff that happened over the years. I can tell my grandkids: I saw Michael Jordan play, win 6 championships, and retire, I watched everynight as Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa demolished baseball's homerun record. A couple of years later Barry Bonds retired their records as well. I watched John Elway's consecutive Superbowl wins. I saw a US president impeached and watch the senate trial unfold everyday.

I was in the US when a president got elected while losing the popular vote. I was in DC when 9/11 happened and walked 4 miles that day to get home. I got to shake the hand of the oldest US senator to serve. I watched and cheered Michael Vick the two years he played college football. I watched on TV when the Boston Red Sox finally broke the curse of the Bambino. At two separate occasions, I was as close as ten feet from two Philippine presidents :)

I rolled over and totalled a car in the most dangerous interstate in the US and only needed a Band-aid for a finger cut. I scooped from our frontyard the very first pyroclastic materials from Mt. Pinatubo. It was in my lifetime when they cloned a sheep, when they mapped the human DNA. If I will have kids and grandkids, I am sure they will witness more amazing things in their lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home