free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Monday, November 08, 2004

Travel Cost

(Somewhere in Maryland, Nov 8.) The entry of new discount airline Indepepence Air brought down airfares to certain destinations coming out of GSP. At the last minute, I was able to buy a cheap ticket from US Airways via Hotwire.com. Aint competition great? The discount is again 50% of the going rate.

As usual I was the lucky guy selected for "special security screening" at the airport. I don't mind profiling at all, I think it is more efficient than having to subject every passenger to an entire body cavity search. Less welfare is sacrificed that way. I'm curious though about the likelihood models they use. I guess being 25-40 years old, flying alone, going to DC with all my electronic gadget in tow sends alarm bells ringing somewhere. Airlines object to higher levels of security because it turns away those marginal air travellers who think the cost of 2-hours each way of security related delays is more than the cost of just driving say 300-400 miles. Right now I don't want to think about the long line of passengers waiting to be screened in DCA.

I was able to get a cheap rental car too online. The AVIS guys gave me a Pontiac Vibe, I thought they should rename this model the Pontiac Vibration. The steering wheel starts to vibrate as soon as you go over 60 mph. Well, as Michael Corleone said in The Godfather "It's the price you pay for the life you choose."

1 Comments:

  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger F said…

    The same problem exists for international students coming from countries that profiling will not identify as high risk. In short, the cost went up for everybody with all the hoops they have to go through.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home