free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Monday, December 06, 2004

King of Wishful Thinking

After getting out of meetings with two of my advisory committee members I decided to get something to eat at the student center. Then it started to rain so I decided to stick around and browse in the bookstore. I wandered off to the section where they pick up graduation gowns. The lady in the counter asked me if I was graduating and I told her...

"not in a while, hey is that the PhD gown?"
"Yes, that's the new one that the Board of Trustees approved."
"I hope they didn't put a tiger paw at the back."
"They ordered this one so the university will have a distinct gown."
"Oh, is that right? Just like Harvard you can tell them apart with their gowns."
"Yeh, that's the idea."
"How much are those?"
"They're expensive, about $600, but you can rent them for the ceremony for $150."
"Is this the place where you order personalized invitations too?"
"Yup."
"What's being personalized?"
"Oh here let me show you, see they'll print your name and degree on it."
"How much are those?"
"About $25 for 15 invitations."
"Not bad."
"Are these the rings? They're the same design every year right? So one can order them later even years after graduating and still get the same one?"
"Yup. See they changed the design in 1959 and decided to stick with that one."
"Oh well, maybe I'll graduate next year and see you then."
"Oh, you'll graduate."
"I'm working on it."

4 Comments:

  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Roy Tan said…

    $600 for a PhD gown?! That's crazy, almost makes me not want to graduate! Hehehe, I think the gowns are cheaper here at virignia tech, though.

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger F said…

    Or one can buy it to act like a bond :) value goes to zero if you dont finish.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger K said…

    -- so there's no orange paw at the back of the gown? ;)

    If you are planning to be a professor someday, you have to own a gown. Imagine paying $150 everytime there's a school function that requires you to come in gown. $600 would turn out cheap.

    So Tech's gowns are cheaper?

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger F said…

    yup that's what the lady said. buying it works if you have a job offer at hand and you're sure to stick around academia.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home