free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Friday, January 28, 2005

Friday Afternoon Delight

I just got out of a paper seminar at the Economics department. I've been attending this friday afternoon seminar eversince I started in the masters program. It's fun and entertaining as you get to see professors disagree on a particular approach to an economic problem. Sometimes discussions can get heated. It's more fun when the paper presentor is a job applicant and hoping to make a good impression. The questions are tough and from the looks of it, by the time the professors are done with their questions there is really no telling if the job hopeful did well or flat out messed it up.

It's not only with their verbal assault that the professors do the most damage. Sometimes during the talk you can observe their faces do all sorts of contortions to communicate their disagreement with the statement just made. Eye rolling and occasional head scratching are favorites for this crowd. They could give Jim Carrey a run for his money. I pity the presentor as he searches for a symphatetic face in the room. Sometimes I like to practice what professors do and attempt to produce lines on my forehead matched with a squint of the eyes as a reaction to a seemingly obvious point the job applicant is making :) I do this knowing this might happen to me in the not so distant future :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home