free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Friday, January 14, 2005

Getting Dumber

I just got the results of last semester's teaching evaluations. One of the weird questions in this evaluation is one where the students are asked if the instructor was knowledgeable about the subject being taught. If they answered no, wouldn't that be a credit to the instructor since they didn't know about the subject matter when the semester started?

I was looking at my evaluations for the past 5 semesters and I pretty much score perfect on this question with the combined agree and strongly agree responses adding up to a 100% every semester. That was before last semester. As it turns out I got dumber. 7.2% of respondents disagreed that I was knowledgeable about the subject I was teaching :)

The thing with evaluations is it captures only both ends of the distribution, those that were not very satisfied and those that were very satisfied with your performance. Because only these students really do care to get their opinions recorded. Still, I would like to go back to being 100% knowledgeable :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home