free lunch

the blog about nothing and everything

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Towards A Man Friendly Mall

Men and women are different when it comes to shopping. They like to shop, we don't (at least in general that's how i think of it). I wonder if during our hunting and gathering stage they liked to visit every tree and shrub and tried every berry while men just went after one game :) My two favorite brick and mortar stores are Wal-Mart and Best Buy. If Best Buy is not carefull it might just even be Wal-Mart. I guess that disqualifies me as a metrosexual.

Sometimes though one cannot avoid the shopping trip with the girlfriend. I have two stages I go through when we go on a shopping trip: Ambivalence, and disinterest :) There's a sequence here, two hours of her trying on clothes and looking at all shops and stores she likes (for some reason I'm supposed to become a qualified judge of fine clothing here and on what dress looks good on her) followed by 5 minutes of going where I want. Then it repeats until the mall closes. For some reason the memory of tagging along with my Mom on grocery and shopping trips as a little kid comes to mind, back then I get an ice cream cone or a treat every time the sequence ends. I think an ice cream cone every time the sequence ends is still a good idea :)

A suggestion to all dress shops. Provide a nice cushioned chair, a reasonable selection of magazines, an internet ready computer, complimentary drinks. This way men would at least not object to staying there for an hour. It might even boost your sales. Restaurants have high chairs for kids to attract families to eat out. Malls should do the same.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger K said…

    What can I say ... well, I totally agree. =)

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger Roy Tan said…

    They should intersperse the clothes with electronic gadgets, computers, video games, and comic books.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home